A Roleplaying forum featuring Star Wars and possibly others upon request of the members.

Star Wars: Prologue

David Mahan
    Admin

Force Points : 112
    Paragon : 0

Re: Star Wars: Prologue

Post  David Mahan on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:46 pm

"Listen, aruetyc," Ka'den begins, his tone also neutral. "We're leaving. And we're taking our weapons with us, whether you like it or not."

Ka'den lifts his arms and ignites his ZX-9 mini flamethrower on one wrist, pouring the flames straight at the old man and his guards, while firing the mini-rocket on his other wrist straight at the old man. As quickly as he can, not wanting to waste the moment of distraction, Ka'den activates the electromagnets in his gloves, and reaches for their weapons...

(OOC: there's more I want to do, but I figured you'd want me to wait and see what the old man/guards did in response, so I stopped mid-action. I also assume you'd appreciate it if I retrieve Sade's weapons as well as my own :-P)
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Force Points : 354

Post  GA Zaarin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:03 pm

OOC: Yeah, keep actions manageable for the GM. Wink Oh, and Sade never lost his weapons; he really only has a hold-out blaster and two vibrodaggers. Wink The difficulty with the flamethrower is 60%, with the rockets is 75%. However, both have effects even if they miss.

IC: Ka'den unleashes an inferno upon his captors, but the captors mostly dodge the flames and are only lightly singed. His rocket fares better but is deflected into the wall by the old man.

The old man extends his hand to use the Force against you, but what seems to be a small arrow or a crossbow bolt emerges through his chest and he collapses to the ground. The guards immediately spin around but you can't see past them to the attacker.
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Sade quickly snaps into action, letting out three shots*. The first shot hits, bringing down a guard. The second goes astray. The third hits.

*OOC as GM: The difficulty is 55%.

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Ka'den uses the Verp to place a well-aimed shot at each of the guards' chests (however many are left), while he fires the M5 from the hip in a sweeping motion, strafing those that escape the pistol.

"Come on, Ad'ika," Ka'den shouts at Sade, "Hang on!" He holsters the k-23 along with the Verp, still holding the M5 in his right hand. He lifts Sade in the other arm and ignites his jetpack to full burn.
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:33 pm

The remaining guards fall, either to the Verpine shatter gun, the barrage of blasts, or the fire from the jetpack. The women are fleeing.

Behind the guards you see what appears to be a wave of water appear suddenly. Out of the wave appears a woman and the wave is gone.

This woman is young--probably barely twenty--beautiful, with vibrant red hair and brilliant blue eyes. Conversely, the loose brown tunic she wears is simple and unostentatious. She carries in her hand a crossbow with an underslung rotary of bolts, allowing her to fire repeatedly without reloading. On her hip is another crossbow, without the underslung rotary but with a more powerful firing mechanism. On the other side is an ornate short sword or long knife. At her back is a quiver and a bow.

"There is no time for introductions," the woman says. "Come with me; I must immerse you in the White Current if you hope to leave this city alive. Especially you, child, for you can feel the Current's flow."

Before you can react, the woman holsters the crossbow and grabs your shoulder.

Ka'den: You feel like you've been hit by a wave, followed by a brief tingling sensation. All the world seems shrouded in fog (think of Peter Jackson's depictions of when Frodo wears the Ring), except the woman and Sade, who seem perfectly clear.

Sade: You feel like you've been immersed in a turbulent river. You can feel its currents ebbing and flowing around you. All the world seems as if it were seen through glass, magnified and amplified. You can see bright spots of life in the surrounding city. Ka'den glows only dimly, the other lights are brighter, the woman's the brightest of all.

The woman leads you out of the city and up into the mountains, and then into a cave. Suddenly the world goes back to normal with a splash.

"I am Laniri Izrell," the woman says. "An Adept of the White Current. I left the Fallanassi a year ago to serve the Confederacy of Independent Systems. I thought it was what the Current was telling me to do. I thought I was on the right side." She smiles ironically. "When I first encountered the bigger Galaxy after growing up on the hidden homeworld of the Fallanassi, I encountered a stagnant and corrupt Republic fighting what seemed to be those who wanted to make things better. So I joined the Confederacy. I knew the leadership of the Confederacy--Count Dooku, in particular--was misled, as the Jedi are misled, and many others who feel the Current but do not understand it are misled. We Fallanassi know that there but few other true servants of the Light, mainly the Baran Do sages and the Luka Sene. I was not overly concerned yet. My superiors shielded me carefully. They saw I was a valuable tool and knew that they would lose me if I learned the truth. Little did they know that the White Current does not hide the truth from those who serve it. One day I was immersed in the White Current and I drifted with it beyond my quarters. It led me to where Count Dooku was speaking with a shadowy figure he called Darth Sidious. I then understood that Count Dooku was not like the Jedi, misguided but hoping for truth. No, he was something else, something evil. I will not repeat what I heard him say, but I knew I had to leave. In the end, I crashed here. I believe the White Current led me here that I might find you--and perhaps that you might find me."

Laniri then turns her eyes to Sade. "Perhaps the Current brought me here that I might be a guide to one who can feel the Current but cannot yet understand it."

She then turns to both of you. "So, I've told you who I am. Who are you?"
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Sade feels exhilarated by his experience--enough to ignore being called a child. He feels alive like he's never felt before. He notices as they flee the city that the people seem entirely unaware of them.

In the cave, Sade listens to Laniri's story with rapt attention, though he bristles a little at the suggestion that he needs guidance.

"I'm Sade," he says. "I'm nothing special--just a street rat. And I don't know what this White Current you keep talking about is. I just know sometimes I do things...supernatural."

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:00 pm

As Ka'den flies away, he suddenly looks behind and sees the wave coming up at them. "What the fierfek..." he begins, but stops when he sees the woman. "I've seen too many strange things today..."

As Ka'den is pulled into the wave, he shivers and tenses his muscles. He has never much liked the idea of the force, or any other mystical force that he can't see, but this is more than just a mystical force--he's *inside* something, something that he feels inside his body, and distorts the world around him. Looking at Sade and the woman, who are surprisingly clear and vibrant, he feels another dark foreboding about Sade, like the one he felt back on the ship. Ka'den could tell that there's something odd about the kid, and now that he's seen him lift that gate...Jedi have never been friends to Ka'den, or his people...it's unlikely that this child is a Jedi, but Ka'den is surprised that they never found him, with such a natural gifting. "If they ever found this kid, they'd have indoctrinated him like the rest. I'm glad he escaped that fate, but...I still don't know if I can trust him. He's a strong kid, that's sure."

Ka'den listens to the woman's story in silence. He is grateful for her intervention in the previous exchange. However, he is unsettled by her story. He has no allegiance to or love for the Republic, so he doesn't hold anything against her for fighting for the CIS...but he can't forget the men he trained on Kamino. That was why he never joined the conflict. He couldn't fight for the Jedi, and he couldn't fight against his own men. He had tried to escape the Clone War--funny they'd name it *that*, of all things--but it kept finding him wherever he went. Even this wouldn't have bothered Ka'den half as much as the woman's talk about the 'White Current'. He doesn't trust most religious cults, especially ones concerning themselves with the Force...or other similar entities. Devotion to an ideal can be helpful...or dangerous, as evidenced by their recent encounter.

Ka'den waited for Sade to introduce himself first. "Vorn, mercenary," he tells her with a slight nod. "Who are those people we just fought? They didn't seem directly hostile, but their intentions couldn't have been more clear. What did they want from us?" He figured he'd keep the information about their employer, the Chiss woman, a secret for now. She doesn't need to know more than she needs to know, he thinks. He purges the thought from his mind, knowing that this woman may be able to sense his thoughts.
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:04 pm

"Who are they?" Laniri echoes. "I don't know what they call themselves. They are universally Force-sensitive, like we Fallanassi are. They seem to be deeply religious, perceiving the Current as magical deities. I've been unable to observe much about their customs, however. They seem to believe in an afterlife involving collective consciousness. They seem to be what the Jedi term 'gray'; I do not believe in gray. There is only good and evil, and we must all choose sides. I do not know what they wanted from you. I haven't been here long myself, and I've never interacted directly with these people. I always immerse myself before going among them."

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Ka'den doesn't like all this talk about good and evil, and choosing sides. He doesn't know much about the Force, or "Current" as she continues to call it--that is a much better name for it, actually--but there's still something troubling about her having joined their side so quick. And he doesn't like the way Sade is hanging on her every word. "You're a smart kid, Ad'ika," he thinks. "Tough, dependable. Don't be getting yourself mixed up with these force-users."

"I guess what I mean to say is, ma'am..." he begins. "Why did you help us, and not them? It's no secret that force-users, don't usually like Mandos, and we certainly don't like you. I'm pretty sure you know more about these people than you'll say if you were willing to help me and the kid here by shooting their...elder, leader, prime minister, or whoever he was. You took sides pretty quickly. That may be your thing, choosing sides, but I don't care too much for sides. My world is different than yours. 'Good' and 'evil' don't paint themselves in black or white, and the only ones you can trust are yourself and your aliit. There are some pretty big questions in my mind about what just happened, so forgive me if I still don't trust you, and would like to know why you choose 'our side'."

Ka'den knows he has been getting too lazy on this job, and not asking enough questions. The gold people had made him let down his guard when he should have put a Verp round through that woman's head as soon as they found her in the stone temple. This woman may indeed be on 'their side', but Ka'den wants to be certain that he keeps the upper hand from now on. That prison cell was far too close.
    Alpha Guardian
    Admin

Force Points : 133

Post  Alpha Guardian on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:17 am

Lirc and Se'ethray began heading into the next valley, going in a northeastern direction so that they could turn around to reach their pod site. While on their trek, Lirc began watching and listening for signs of water, since their supply would not last forever. While Lirc's suit would allow him to remain hydrated for quite some time, he knew that Se'ethray would be susceptible to dehydration shortly after their supply ran out, and that would slow them down. He didn't like the idea of leaving the kid and the Mando by themselves for too long. They might have found their employer in the city, taken their payment, and abandoned them on this planet... or they may have gotten themselves in trouble. The kid merely seemed like a scrapper, but throw a Mando into the equation and the chances of a fight breaking out rose exponentially.

Lirc turned to Ray. "If the other pod's not in this next valley, do you think we should head back to where we split up and check on the others?"
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:06 pm

"I understand your concern," Laniri says. "What you do not understand is that the ability to feel the Current does not create an innate fealty between us--if that were the case, the Jedi and the Sith would have no inclination to fight. I confess that I have no familiarity with your people--the Mandos I believe you called them--if they choose to fight the Current, that is their own concern. As for myself, I chose to help you because I felt it was what the Current wanted me to do. You who cannot feel the Current--you always think materially, you think of angles and motivations. You do not understand that sometimes we do things for which there is no motivation, only following the Current wherever it leads."

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Ka'den is a little taken aback by the woman's reply. "Mandalorians," he corrects her. 'Alright,' he thinks, 'so this "Current" must like me and Sade--so that's the reason why she helped us. I can buy that, although it would have been a lot harder if it hadn't been for our recent experience.'

"My apologies, Miss. But those of us who can't tap into your 'Current' need to trust in our own senses. If you are keen to help us however, there is a matter that I think you can help us with. It's the reason why we're here on this planet. Two escape pods recently crash-landed on this planet. One of them held myself, this young man, and two associates of ours. The other pod held our employer, who brought us here to help her. Do you know where either or both of the pods landed?"
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:17 pm

"Finding people on a planet so full of life can be a difficult proposition," Laniri says. "Still, I will try to follow the Current and seek out a vision of your employer."

Laniri closes her eyes. For a long time there is no sound but her steady, even breathing. At last she speaks, but she does not open her eyes. "I see two people wandering through the mountains," she says. "One has a conical head, the other wears strange robes." She continues to follow the White Current in her vision. "I see a cave somewhere in the mountains. There is a great crater in the opening. In it is an escape pod. In the escape pod is a beautiful woman with blue skin and blue-black hair. She is alive but she is unconscious--whether from wounds or sleep I cannot tell."

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Ka'den is impatient, but he listens silently and impassively. Once she tells what she is seeing, he stands up and walks to the mouth of the cave, looks out over the mountains to see if he can spot any sign of the mountain she is describing.
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 pm

You scan the mountainsides closely but you see no sign of any craters, save the one on the jungle floor that marks your own crash site.

Seethray
    Admin

Force Points : 42

Post  Seethray on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 pm

"Yes, I believe we should check on the others after we check this next valley", Ray said looking a lot better than he did a little while ago. "Do you think the Mando and Kid are doing ok?"

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Ka'den tries his scanners, but the planet's interference is too high. "Damn force-choked atmosphere. So that's what's been disrupting all my instruments. It'll take years to find her on this shabla force-sink."

He turns back to the woman. "Can you tell us where the mountain is that our friend has landed on?"
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:59 pm

Laniri shakes her head. "The Current does not work that way," she says. "But if it is the Current's will, then we will find her. That is all I can say. I see no craters like the one in my vision in this valley, though."

As the Tusken and Cerean proceed up the mountains, Seethor is reminded of Yiisha's warning by the sudden burning in his lungs. The upper atmosphere is tainted with cyanogen, and without a breath mask (and preferably a full environment suit) the upper mountains are unlivable by carbon-based life.

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:21 pm

'Of course that's not how the Current works,' Ka'den thinks, 'that would be too helpful for us poor mortals.' He removes his helmet and rests his forehead on his hand, trying to remember when was the last time he slept. 'Not now,' he tells himself.

"So...are you agreeing to help us find her, then?" he asks their new guide. "It would be very much appreciated." Looking down at Sade, he says "How are you holding up, Ad'ika?"
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:35 am

"Tired as frak," Sade says, "but I can hold it together. Don't worry about me."
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 am

"Yes, I'll help you," Laniri says. "You'll need my help. I'm sure you're aware that the upper atmosphere is tainted with cyanogen. I think I can create an oxygen bubble in the Current to get us over to the next valley."
    Alpha Guardian
    Admin

Force Points : 133

Post  Alpha Guardian on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Finding that Se'ethray was having breathing issues, Lirc quickly surveyed the surroundings from as high as they could get. He didn't see anything particularly out of the ordinary - just more mountains and valleys. Grabbing his companion, Lirc put his own breath mask on the Cerean and held his breath. Picking up his companion, he began quickly moving down the mountain to get to a better air supply.

When they were finally down to clean air, Lirc released his breath and put the Cerean down. He was exhausted and had to sit down for a long break. He even found himself resorting to using an external water canteen that he carried in case of emergencies. "I guess you need more clean oxygen since you have a larger brain. I didn't see anything particularly promising from that view, and going through the valleys will take far too long and expose us to predators. We should head back to the structure and see if the others have turned up anything. Let's hope they're still alive by the time we get back."

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Grinning, Ka'den says "Who's worried?", and replaces his helmet.

"Much obliged for your help," he says to Laniri. "So, what are we waiting for?"
    GA Zaarin
    Admin

Post  GA Zaarin on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Laniri extends her hands and closes her eyes. Soon you are again immersed in the Current and you make your way up the mountain. You hurry up and then down again on the other side without pausing, for Laniri cannot keep you immersed indefinitely. At last, when you are at safe levels again, you emerge from the Current to survey your surroundings. Night is falling by this point, but about twenty-five kilometers to the northeast you see a crater in the mountainside.

David Mahan
    Admin

Post  David Mahan on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 am

The Current still feels strange and foreign to Ka'den, and he shivers as they travel through it.

Ka'den looks up and sees the crater, then assesses the trajectory it seems to have followed, based on the trail of wreckage, to see how possible her survival would have been.

"Well, I guess that's the way. Let's hope Lirc and Mirshe have made it this far as well." He begins walking.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:39 pm